Has your summer job search taken a back-seat to other activities? If you answered yes, then you might be in luck if your list of employers include restaurants.
It has just been announced that restaurants are expecting to add 450,000 jobs into the job pool this summer. That’s a 4.6% increase over the March 2012 employment level says the National Restaurant Association. The numbers this year are the highest summer employment numbers since 1993.
Restaurant Jobs Are H-O-T!
The restaurant industry will outpace overall employment growth for the 13th year in a row this year. Overall, America’s nearly one million restaurants employ nearly 10% of the nations overall workforce.
Restaurants are the nation’s second largest private sector employer employing nearly 13 million people. This number is expected to grow by another 1.4 million positions over the next decade.
The states with the most restaurant job openings include:
- New York(43,800)
- California (32,900)
- Massachusetts (28,800)
- Texas (24,600)
- New Jersey (22,900)
- Michigan (20,100)
- Ohio (19,900)
- Illinois (19,400)
- Pennsylvania (17,400)
- North Carolina (16,700)
- 1 in 3 American adults got their first job experience in the restaurant industry
- 8 in 10 restaurant owners started at entry-level
- 9 in 10 salaried restaurant employees started as hourly employees
- 9 in 10 restaurant employees say restaurants provide the opportunity to start at the bottom and move up to management
- 46% of restaurant employees say they would like to own a restaurant